If you’d like to get more involved with the DPAA and/or with helping current students at the DP, we are always looking for volunteers willing to give some of their time to help with both ongoing and one-time projects.
We typically rely on DP alumni who are working journalists to aid with a number of annual DP efforts, including alumni critiques of the DP and 34th Street Magazine, serving as mentors for DP editors or reporters, participating in our annual Steven A. Marquez Journalism Conference in September and our Journalism Bootcamp in January, and judging the staff writing and photography contests presented by the DPAA. If you work in any branch of journalism and would like to volunteer to help with any of these activities, please let us know.
The DPAA Board has five standing committees, and we welcome non-Board members with specific interests or expertise to join a committee:
- The Journalism Committee focuses on helping students at the DP improve their journalism skills. This includes coordinating our two annual training conferences, coordinating a schedule of alumni critiquing the DP’s print and digital publications, and otherwise working with the student leadership to provide training and resources.
- The Business Committee focuses on helping the DP’s business staff in its pursuit of revenue opportunities, improving the marketing the DP’s publications and products, and analyzing various metrics to make the DP a more data-driven organization.
- The Network & Community Committee focuses on communication with DP alumni through email, social media and a printed annual report, and creating opportunities for DP alumni to connect in as many ways as possible.
- The Development & Fundraising Committee focuses on improving the DP’s fundraising activities, including annual giving and building the organization’s endowment.
- The Diversity Committee focuses on diversity issues with DP staff recruiting and staff advancement, as well as promoting diversity on the DPAA Board.
Other ad hoc or short-term committees are formed as needs arise. If you have expertise or interest in helping the DP and/or DPAA in some area you think might be beneficial, please send us an email. We’d be delighted to put you to work!